People say that first impressions matter, Why? Because they usually last very long. Everyday, we go out and meet different people for different reasons, what kind of impression do we leave with them about us? The rude stuck up lady, the bossy and controlling dude, the pleasant and we’ll dressed lady, the great listener and business savvy guy, I mean I could go on and on, but my point is wherever you find yourself, you need to make a great first impression. Having said that, today’s #mondayinspiration is basically to give you 6 tips on how to make a great first impression.
Did you have a good weekend? I had exams, so it wasn’t much fun for me, I was however happy that two pairs I dislike were evicted from the Big Brother Naija house! Yay! (Who’s watching?)
What can you do to improve your first impression game?
1) BE PUNCTUAL: Yes, there might be issues like traffic and other unforeseen circumstances, but you need to put all those factors in check when planning to go out. Be on time, so that you don’t have to start giving excuses for why you were late. I come from a family where punctuality is held in high esteem, I also happen to have a Dad who leaves the house by 5am when his flight is by 12 noon (Hey Dad!), so it’s not just in our DNA to be late, and even though sometimes it could be a little over the top, I think I’m grateful for that culture. While I’m not saying you should get there before they even open the gate, just make sure you’re on time, it makes you look dependable and reliable.
2) LOOK GOOD: Remember in this post when we talked about reasons why it’s important to dress well? Yeah, that’s because people naturally react to the way you look. If you’re looking to make a great first impression, then you need to make sure you look good. Dress according to the occasion, dress smartly and dress comfortably too!
3) BE YOURSELF: Don’t try to be someone else just to fit into a certain situation. When you want to make a great first impression, you must know that a lot of people would be observing you, and some would be able to see right through you, to know whether you’re faking it. Another thing is to make sure you don’t overdo things all in the name of being ‘real’. Be yourself and remain calm, because this will even make you feel more at ease around people.
4) DON’T FORGET TO SMILE: I can personally say that this can be quite difficult, but when you’re looking to network and meet new people, you need to put on that smile. Sometimes you don’t even need to say anything, your smile would draw people to you, and will make them feel relaxed around you. One last thing, make that smile genuine.
5) HAVE THE RIGHT BODY LANGUAGE: Your confidence level can be determined by something as little as how you walk, and why is that important? The way you walk, talk, sit and even maintain eye contact are all part of body language. When your mouth isn’t saying it, your body days says it all. These are some of the things people look at when they’re trying to get an impression of who you are. It is important that when trying to make that first impression, you have the right body language because it makes you come off as one who is very confident and knows what he/she is doing.
6) BE COURTEOUS: You need to learn to have the right attitude when you’re in the midst of people, especially when you want to leave a lasting impression. Be courteous at all times, don’t be too familiar, they’re not your family members, don’t be haughty, people want to feel comfortable around you, start meaningful conversations and listen to the other party, don’t let your voice overshadow everyone’s voices, other people want to be heard too.
Just make sure that you’re literally on your best behaviour when you want make a great first impression because they go a long way, I can tell you that for free!
What are the things you do when you’re trying to make a good first impression? Please share your thoughts in the comments section.
Have a great week ahead!